How do I get more information about volunteering with MSET?

MSET uses 3 primary means of notification for upcoming events:

  • Monthly membership meetings held at 6:30 PM on the 4th Wednesday of the month at Mimis Restaurant ( Mopac at Hwy 183)

  • MSET event Calendar on this website

  • E-mail notifications sent via our e-groups 

  • Contact the MSET PIO at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Do I need to ride a motorcycle to volunteer with MSET?

No. MSET is a registered volunteer First Responder Organization who provides EMS support and Emergency Communications support to both mobile and fixed based events.

Our mission is to primarily provide EMS support to mobile events using our motorcycles. However, there are still opportunities for medics and HAM radio operators who do not ride a motorcycle to provide support.  

Many of the events  that we support require medics at a first aid tent located at the finish line and/ or roaming medic teams patrolling the event on foot.


Do I need to be a medic to volunteer?

No you do not have to be a medic to participate. MSET also provides emergency communications at each event and relies on FCC registered HAM radio operators to provide this service.

If you are not a medic or a HAM Radio operator and still would like to participate, we encourage you to contact us so that we explore ways in which you can volunteer with us.  Many of our valued members volunteered with us as support personnel and over time have become medics and HAM radio operators.

Non medic motorcycle riders will be teamed up with a motorcyle medic and can provide valued support such as traffic control, communications and assisting with medical equipment. 

Do I need to be a FCC licensed HAM radio operator to volunteer?

No. You do not have to be a FCC licensed operator to volunteer with MSET, but it sure does help!  MSET relies heavily on the use of HAM radio for emergency communications at each event.  Our medics are dispatched to patients and communicate event issues and details via HAM radio.  

MSET sets up a net control at most events and establishes a command post to bridge the communications between MSET and event organizers, police departments, sherrifs departments, EMS and other HAM radio organizations.

MSET will be glad to help you obtain you FCC amateur radio operator license if you wish to obtain one.

Are there benefits to become an MSET member?

Membership does have its privileges! 

Not only will you be a member of a well respected and professional FRO, you will be part of an organization that values its members, provides a valuable service to our community, provides on going training, enjoys what they do and have fun doing it. Where else can you ride the Texas hill country while providing such a valuable service to the community?

MSET members are reimbursed for gas expense for mobile events (As documented in the MSET reimbursement policy), provided ongoing continued education, provided medical trauma kits and oxygen tanks (Registered medics only), assisted in obtaining FCC Amateur Radio license (if needed), and much more.

How do I sign up to volunteer for an event?

  • Click on  <Register for Events!> and select register. 
  • Complete the on-line registration.  An e-mail confirmation will be sent to you.
  • Reminder notifications will be sent as the event approaches.  
  • You can call or email the event coordinator for additional information.

What should I wear when volunteering with MSET?

MSET does have a uniform code and, as you will be representing MSET while voluteering with us, we expect you to look professional at all times.  

The MSET uniform consists of black or navy medic pants or BDUs and a Royal Blue collared shirt.  There are some events that we will provide an MSET T-shirt for the event.

  • As a volunteer, please try to wear a blue shirt with a collar and if possible medic or BDU pants.
  • All volunteers and members are required to wear closed toed shoes, preferrably boots
  • All motorcyle volunteers and members are required to wear a motorcyle helmet while riding.

For more information, please read the MSET uniform policy.

end faq